Skip to content
- Penn Social Sports Coed Bocce Ball is played on the honor system.
- It is important to remind yourself and your teammates that everyone in the league is here to have fun and meet new people.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated.
- This is an adult SOCIAL league relax, have fun, and don’t be too serious!
- All players must be registered, paid, and at least 21 years of age.
- Only paid Penn Social Sports league members are allowed to play.
- The game shall begin with rock paper scissors between the captains.
- The winner of rock paper scissors may have the first toss of the pallino OR choose the color of the balls.
- A player may toss the pallino any distance so long as the pallino passes the center line of the court and does not leave the court on the sides or on the end.
- If a player fails to validly toss the pallino after two attempts, the opposing team will have a chance to toss the pallino and put it in play.
- When the pallino has been properly put in play, the first bocce ball will be thrown by the team who tossed the pallino.
- The team who tosses the pallino throws the first bocce ball, then steps aside while a person on the other team rolls. Play continues back and forth between teams during the round.
- The team whose bocce balls are closest to the pallino is called “inside” and the opposing team “outside.”
- This continues until both teams have used all their bocce balls (a total of 8, 4 from each team).
- The team who scored last, throws the pallino to begin the next frame.
- No one player can throw more than two (2) bocce balls in a given set.
- If a ball is tossed and comes to rest out of bounds without touching another ball that is in play it is considered a dead ball and is not scored.
- If this ball is the first one tossed during the round, the other team throws the next ball.
- A ball that lands on the boundary line is considered in play.
- If a ball is knocked out of bounds by another ball, the ball out of bounds is considered dead and is taken out of the field of play.
- If a player rolls the wrong colored ball, simply replace it with the correct color when the ball comes to rest.
- If a player rolls out of turn the opposing team may leave everything, including the thrown ball, exactly where it is or may return any moved balls to their approximate original positions and remove the thrown ball from play.
- The first team to score 10 or more points at the conclusion of a round wins the game (there is no win by 2 rule), or the team that is winning after an hour of play.
- If the winning team finishes the round with a score of more than 10 points, their score will still be recorded as 10.
- For every bocce ball your team has closer than the other teams your team will be awarded a point.
- The most points possible per turn is four.
- If at the end of any frame the closest ball of each team is equidistant from the pallino, the frame ends in a tie and no points are awarded to either team.
- Players can also knock the pallino, however if the pallino goes out of play then the set will restart and the team who originally threw the pallino will throw it again.
- Player’s movements are limited to one step over the end line onto the court while throwing.
- Measurements : Tape measures will be provided for each game, and players are responsible for measuring in case of any disputes.
- All measurements should be made from the inside dimensions of the bocce ball to the inside dimension of the pallino.
- If both teams agree on which team has the point(s) and it is later determined that a mistake has been made, all balls played are valid.
- Don’t do it! Your teammates and opponents expect you to show up, so please make sure at least two players from your team attend.
- Games start right on time, so we recommend coming 10 minutes early. Teams need two (2) players to avoid forfeiting and a forfeit will be declared after five minutes after scheduled start.
- Two forfeits mean your team is ineligible for the playoffs or championship game.